Friday, January 19, 2007

What is YOUR Passion?

As you move into a new year and think about all you've done and all you wish to do, consider your passion. Think about and write down the thing(s) you love to do most. How can you move closer to realizing your passion and making it something you can do all the time? Perhaps you have a passion that you can turn into a career. Perhaps you have a passion that you've done nothing with in years. I have so many things I love doing - traveling, drawing and painting, designing new things, playing with my nieces and nephews... Here is a poem I wrote a couple years ago that I hope will inspire you to write down your passion and be creative about how to incorporate your passion into your daily life. Life is so much more exciting and pleasant when you can wake up in the morning and do something that feeds your passion every day!

My Passion
© September 7, 2004

Last night, I was asked, “What is your passion?”
My mouth guessed with assumptions and accusations
What drives me -- the feel goods.
Niceties and fun, what makes me tick and run.
Travel, music, written, spoken and visual art.
Words stumbled out as I searched my heart.
I felt my way around what sounded right—
Descriptions of choices for activity and interaction
Experiences of happiness and peace.
Realizing I had never defined my passion with one of the keys:
Words.

This morning as my spirit awoke,
Its whispers nudged my eyes open
My mind focused on the only reason I get up every day,
And my stiff body ached for what it aches for daily:
Love.
What I was purposed for,
The thing that birthed me and lives in my core.
What was laid down from the Son of Man
As the rule of life: His greatest command.
The one thing I feel I do best
It’s what gives me joy and happiness.
Love is what makes my heart race.
Love is what my tongue longs to taste
It is my strongest desire and most necessary need.
Possessing it lifts me the highest
Losing it gives me the most pain.

Love in all its forms and figures is what I crave:
The lightheadedness, tears of joy when I praise,
Painted butterflies that swim in me when I encounter Him,
Living with conviction that I am loved by the Creator,
That I am continually blessed and highly favored.
Agape Love.
My nieces and nephew: Playing with and watching them grow
Giving thanks for the knowledge that they will someday know.
Leaning on Mama’s shoulder and consuming the love she cooked just for me,
In the peaceful presence of my family.
Storge love.
Creating beauty for someone on screen or on paper,
Seeing the satisfaction for the fruits of my labor.
The tears from eyes that heard my heart speak,
Dancing to love music held cheek-to-cheek.
Giving a gift when it is unexpected,
Discovering his-story and her-story and how we’re connected.
Cooking for appreciative mouths
Hearing the same speak love to me.
Philios love.
The chase, his taste, his warm embrace,
Me at rest on his chest as we drift.
Fuzzy cats that nudge our feet,
A kiss on lips that taste so sweet.
Cute nicknames just for you and me.
Eros Love.
My father’s memory, my aunt’s words and care.
A hug, a caress, fingers run through my hair.
Colors and hues that make my eyes laugh,
Lying on grass watching sunshine and blue skies.
Floating on clouds hand-in-hand so high.
Just Love.

So while words didn’t quite do justice,
My spirit knew all along,
What my passion is:
Love, my heart’s song.

No comments: