Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What Ever Happened To... A Taste of Honey?

Sitting here listening to whatever's on my HD and an oldie but goodie comes on and takes me back. Way back --"Sukiyaki" by Grammy Award Winners, A Taste of Honey. The disco group started in 1970 and released their first album in '78. The girl duo of Hazel Payne and bassist Janice Johnson (originally there were 2 dudes in the group too) made music that today has been sampled on countless TV shows, movies as well as other R&B and Hip Hop songs - especially their first #1 hit, "Boogie Oogie Oogie." Their lyrics from "Sukiyaki" made it into the massive hit by Dougie Fresh & Slick Rick, "The Show". In elementary school, I played that 45 so much the crevices in the vinyl all but disappeared. I think that was the first record my mom ever bought me, and I still get misty whenever I hear it. So, what ever happened to that dynamic duo?


Well they had 4 albums together, before Johnson went solo, releasing her own album in 2000. She's partnered up with another chic and is still touring under "A Taste of Honey" billing as "Janice-Marie". I ain't mad at her and some of the songs on her latest LP sound pretty good. You can check them out at: http://www.janice-marie.com/ as well as hear some of the old school cuts from the original "Taste". Ya'll let me know if you hear they're coming to DC!

1 comment:

Unruly said...

Oh wow. I'd forgotten this group! I loved me some Sukiyaki and Taste of Honey. Let me go check out her site! Great post!!