Sunday, January 28, 2007

All About the Andersons Gets 5 Stars

TV One had an "All About the Andersons" (AAA) marathon this weekend. I feel guilty for watching almost all of the episodes (I was cleaning house simultaneously, so that's my excuse), but I must say this is a really good sitcom. Much like My Wife and Kids in that I never watched the first run during prime time, I'm really digging the synicated re-runs of the sitcoms. They are wholesome shows that teach lessons on morals, character and family - something I've been missing for years since The Cosby Show. It's a shame that AAA didn't make it on national network TV. Personally, I think it would beat out half the sitcoms out there on primetime.

It doesn't hurt that a star from Good Times (one of my all-time favorite sitcoms) -- John Amos is one of the stars of AAA and pretty much plays the same role as he did as James Evans who reminds me very much of my late father. Comedian, Anthony Anderson (Barbershop, Me, Myself & Irene, Big Momma's House, Life), does a great job along with some of my other favorite sitcom stars: Roz Ryan of Amen and Broadway fame, appearances by Lou Myers, aka Mr. Gaines from A Different World, as well as some budding newcomers to the sitcom scene.

The cast of AAA is diverse and the content is realistic, depicting a struggling single father who moves back in with his parents after his wife abandons him and their young son. They hit a lot on relationship with friends and family, trust, disciplining youngsters, and respect. Let's face it, while I adore Fresh Prince, Will & Grace and Seinfeld -- in my opinion, three of the all time great sitcoms of the late 90's and into this century, they didn't teach a whole lot of family values and they weren't exactly great for little kids. I don't have kids but I really enjoy the dynamics of the very likeable characters and the writers make it really funny and each episode leaves you with a little "warm and fuzzy". Definitely check it out when you get a chance!

No comments: