Friday, February 23, 2007

Fantasia's New Favorite Color

All I can say is YOU GO, GIRL! Fantasia had me in tears last night on American Idol as she sang "I'm Here," a signature song from the score of the Broadway stage play, Oprah's The Color Purple, where Fantasia will soon be taking on the role of Miss Celie. They had chu'ch up in there last night, and even Simon joined in with the standing ovation which is a rarity. Fantasia worked that song like a champ and showed just how vocally talented she really is. Thank Goodness, cuz I was mat at her for "Wifebeaters and Jeans."

I wonder if it's an ego shot to be asked to play a character who is known in the book/movie/play for being "ugly" (per Suge Avery). But this role can only build her resume and position her to get into the other areas of show-bidness. Shoot, give me a job being Celie, Netty or one of them bad kids, and I'll work harder than Ray Charles at the Soul Train Scramble Board!

I saw the play on Broadway last year on the last night that the original Celie, actress LaChanze, played the role, as well as the last night of Lou Myers' participation (Mr. Vernon Gaines from A Different World) as . The play had me on my feet, in tears, jumping for joy and waving my hands like I was born and raised Pentecostal. But I think I'll have to get back to check out Fantasia sometime this year.

3 comments:

TDJ said...

She tore that stage up!! Congrats to her for getting the role in TCP. No doubt she can SSAANNGG that part, but....dare I say the acting might be a problem? She had some ah..challenges playing herself in her biopic on Lifetime. Hmm.... :)

Butta said...

That's funny because I thought that Fanny sounded and looked a hot mess last night. It's probably because I never have been able to stand her from her first day on Idol. She's on the same level as Fergie to me and you know I hate that chick with every fiber of my being. Anywho, I surely won't be in a rush to go see TCP on B'way now. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Meilyn said...

@tdj - I didn't see the LIfetime special. Yeah i wonder about the acting part. But on Broadway everything is so overacted so she just might be able to swing it. I'm sure she'll get some training.

@ Butta - Fa real? You're the first person i heard that didn't like her singing. I'm sorry you won't be trying to see the play though because there's really some talented folk in there. It's broken some records in the short time it's been on Bway.