Friday, October 12, 2007

Why Did I Get Married?

Y'all know I loves me some Tyler Perry. The man is truly a talent of this decade. Me 'n Madea go way back -- like bucket seats.

Well, with all the new hype surrounding Tyler Perry's latest motion picture production, Why Did I get Married? (in theatres this weekend) and after watching the Oprah show promoting it, I thought I'd share my own personal thoughts and at the same time give some insight and observation of my first month of marriage.

I have to say the number-one reason I wanted to be married was for the companionship. As I've gotten older, I seem to have fewer and fewer friends. Fewer people I trust, and fewer people I feel I can do things with and really be myself with. I wanted that one person I could rely on and just be ME with and not worry about whether they would still like me or love me if I did something they didn't like. I wanted someone that I could feel safe with, who could hold me when I needed to be held, or share my throughts and life experiences with -- whether good or bad. A spiritual partner. A road dog. A confidant. A best friend. Someone I coulg grow with and who would help me to be a better person. Someone to love me for me. Someone for me to love.

I also wanted someone who would be a good father for my future child(ren) because I do want a family. A guinea pig for my new recipes. Someone with some muscles for when I need some furniture moved around. Someone to take care of the car and take out the garbage. You know - those manly things. LOL.

I thank GOD that I found all those things in my Gushy-bear. He is all those things and much more. I'm not going to go on and on about how wonderful he is and how he constantly tries to be the best man he can be for me. But there are just a few things I want to say to all the looking ladies -- a few things that may tip you off to whether he'll make a good husband or not:

Make sure you find someone who tells you you're beautiful even when you've put on weight, have no make-up on and have morning breath. Make sure he doesn't mind helping with the dishes or washing clothes or cleaning up after you if necessary. Find someone who will pop a pimple for you or just smiles when you make a stinky, instead of shunning you for the funk. If you want kids, see if he doesn't mind babysitting your seven nieces and nephews. Make sure he loves his family as much as you love yours. Make sure he has goals and dreams beyond anything he already has achieved. If you value education, make sure he READS -- and I mean something other than magazines on how to outsmart the latest Playstation game.

BTW, The Why Did I Get Married soundtrack also sounds like a must-have. You can sample it on the website too!

-------------------------------------------

Saw the movie Friday night. LOVED IT. By far, Tyler's best movie production yet. A couple slow spots and alittle over acting in some areas... maybe alittle too many tears even. But overall, we loved it. This is a definite for the DVD collection! 8.5 of 10 stars!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I need to read stuff like this as I go back and forth sometimes on whether it can really work and withstand the test of time and change. A lot of the things you mentioned are exactly what I would be looking for in my future baby daddy :) One thing in particular stood out---you make him want to be a better man....and vice versa I'm sure. That is so important. Congrats on your wedding and welcome back to the blogosphere!

(Butta's friend!)

High Fidelity said...

Okay...so maybe I shed a little tear.

Thank you, C.T.