Tuesday, November 04, 2008


November 4, 2008 - Election Day.

Tomorrow, Barrack Obama could be the first black President Elect of the United States. I'm thinking about how awesome it would be for a young African American or child “of color” to grow up in an era when the president looks like him or her. What a testament it will be to Black boys and girls everywhere that they can truly grow up to be anything they want to be! When I grew up as a biracial (Asian and Black) kid in the deep south during the 70s and 80s, there were no minorities in any leadership position. I assumed the president had to be a white male. I never gave politics a thought, as it was so far removed from my realm of possibilities. At least, that is what I believed.

With everything going on in the world right now: war, global warming, constant natural disasters, recession, etc., I've wondered if I would want to bring a child into this mad, scary world. I thought to myself, what kind of world is this for a kid? So many more pressures and stress on young people now than ever before. But I would love for my child to grow up in a time such as this, assuming Obama wins. I hope my child gets the opportunity to know that a person of any ethnicity can live in the White house; that a member of the minority can lead an entire country even though he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I pray that my child will know this, whether it be from seeing Obama in office, or from seeing some other minority in a powerful public office.

I had the pleasure of meeting Barrack Obama back in 2005 in Chicago's O’Hare Airport. I was there for Fourth of July weekend with some girlfriends, and Obama was on our flight. My friend recognized him and knew who he was; however, I did not. After we deplaned, she raced to catch up with him and asked if he would take a photo with her, and he graciously obliged. I, unfortunately, did not join in the photo, as I was never one to be "star-struck", and I certainly had no idea he would soon be a candidate for the President of the United States. How I wish I had taken a photo with him! Even if he does not win the election, I admire Barrack Obama so much. He is a hero for so many and represents what so many civil rights leaders fought for. He has run his campaign with a class and dignity that is uncommon among candidates for this office. He has shown his intelligence and caring for this nation and is a testament that you can achieve even the loftiest dreams. I would've liked to have that photo to tell my child about the black man who is or who could have and should have been our president.

No comments: