Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Ode to Spring


ahhh glorious spring has sprung
and like the birds, I'm soaring
high on anti-allergy drugs that make me groggy and feel blah.
my eyes itch as i take in your splendor of budding flowers and trees
and i want to nap and be lazy.

oh wonderful springtime!
i'm floating like the tiny pollen molecules that stick to my clothes and inner sinuses
and coat my car and kitchen counters in a chartreuse haze.
should i close the windows and trap them inside?
no -- for i must circulate air and savor these few days of rest for the heat pump.
yes, majestic spring, you spring hope in my heart --
to have one month that my electricity bill will be under $400.
oh, to dream!

thank you, mother nature, for beautiful springtime!
you gift us with warmth so that hoochies can now wear less and less clothing
and show all their business when nobody wants to see,
and hammertime feet may come out of hibernation
to grip the edges of too-small sandals
and threaten to scrape the sidewalk.

ahh glorious spring --
your beauty and majesty enfolds me and i am smitten
with the dandelions and unnamed weeds that claim my lawn...
they stand tall as they stare boldly at my weed-wacker and yell,
"YOU WANT SUMMA DIS?"

i shake my fist at them and yell:
"DAMN YOU, SPRINGTIME!" but i'm glad winter's over.

2 comments:

Butta said...

>>>Insert finger snaps here<<<

OMG I am over here DYING at your poetic stylings. You're the only person I know who could use chartreuse and hoochies in the same poem and make it work. Stranjay! Stranjay!

High Fidelity said...

That was funny...I'm smiling down here in the ATL, 'cause Lord knows I'm having a battle of the "haze" myself!